One of my favorite smart winter foods is my spicy vegetable and chicken soup. It's yummy, it's totally healthy, and it definitely fills me and keeps me charged for my next Bikram class. Best of all, it takes less than 10-minutes to make. Now that's what I'd call the perfect food, wouldn't you?!
Kat's Spicy Vegetable And Chicken Soup
- Moredough Kitchens vegetable stock (I like this brand as it has no added rubbish, but you can subsitute your own)
- 500grams chicken thighs (use breast if you prefer but the richer darker meat is actually much better for health, immunity, and weight management)
- 1/2 a celery, including the leaves
- Large handful fresh green beans
- 1/2 a cauliflower
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 tin organic lentils (purists can soak dry lentils overnight, but this is where I'm a little lazy!
- Organic chilli flakes (1-2 teaspoons, depending on taste)
- Plenty of certified organic sea salt
- 3-4 glasses of purified water
- 30 grams feta per person
- Fresh basil or coriander (optional)
Leave until it comes to the boil, and then drop to a simmer. After about 20-30 minutes, use some tongs to pull the chicken out. Allow to cool, and then loosely shred, before mixing back in. Add salt and pepper again if needed. Leave for about 30 minutes (although you can serve earlier if you're getting hungry!)
Serve with fresh torn basil or coriander, and some feta.
Finally, sit back smug in the knowledge that you had a yummy dinner at a low-cost and that it was extremely good for you! Oh - and to save a bit of extra time after work, pre-chop your veg in the morning.
Do you have any tips for smart winter recipes? Leave a comment below. Alternatively, contact me with your queries on this or other food and yoga related topics, and I'll try to answer your question as a post.
Food for Yoga. Food for Life.
Please leave a comment, send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or visit me on my regular blog, BodyIncredible.com. It's all about how to feel and look amazing both inside and out through correct nutrition and lifestyle.